Brooding ducklings in winter

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by samuelsonfarm, Jan 1, 2014.

1. samuelsonfarm

samuelsonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2013
    Hi all, I have a couple of 3 week old ducklings (who I'm absolutely in love with) and as you all know, at this age they are very messy! My current set up is this:

They spend the night in a Rubbermaid with a towel in the bottom. No food or water at night (I know, they are a bit young for that,but I can't handle th mess!)

Early in the am,usually before 5, I get them out and into the tub with lots of food and water.

They have about 3hrs of that, then I fill up the tub so they can bathe an I rinse all food and poop down.

They go back into the box until about 4pm where we do the same routine again. For, then bath. I let them hang out in the tub for a while, then they get some fresh food snacks around 10pm(still in the tub)

One more bath before bed, and they are in the box for the night.

This is a very labor intensive system, bit it does cut down on the mess/smell. And I'm still washing 2 poppy towels a day. They are growing ell and are very happy and friendly. What do you all think? Is there a better way? I anticipate these two will be indoors until.fully grown given it is winter,.so I need to get a good system here. What else have you all done? Any suggestions? Would wood shavings be easier? Will th b ok to go outside once they have true feathers?

Thanks!

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    This link has good info including some mess control options, while i know all to well the mess, 3wk old ducklings are too young to go without feed.water overnight..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

as for moving into the coop, depends on your temps. I did have a winter clutch last Mar but they had a mama duck, it was a long while before the depths of our winter finally let go.

[​IMG]

3. samuelsonfarm

samuelsonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2013
    The link you sent said they need food and water 24/7 until 2 weeks old, mine are nearly 4. I'm ok with keeping them in for quite a while. What we are doing is "managable" since it is only 2 of them. I cant imagine doing it with more than that! We had our first brood outside full time by 4 weeks old, but that's because it was summer at that point. I was sooo ready to get them out of here! I love them so much, but dear Lord, they smell horrible.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I prefer older, i follow Storey's guide to ducks where he starts several weeks old.. i guess i like a better foundation, to me 2wks is far to soon, especially if raising banty ducks i know all to well about the mess, this past year i had 3 different batches of ducklings in my house lol 2 premature scovies, 2 buff orpinngtons and two pairs of calls, plus we did some silkies twice(but those were chickens, way easier~)

Do you have access to Storey's guide? i find it had good info on temps and so forth.. winter is harsh, makes it much harder to transition.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by