Brooding hen, moving eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spamanon, Nov 14, 2009.

1. spamanon

spamanon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2008
    I have a hen sitting on some eggs in a bad place. If I move her and them, will she continue to sit on them in the new place?

Thanks.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Everytime I've tried that, it breaks her broodiness.

Most times, they pic "THE SPOT" where they want to incubate those eggs.

Some folks are successful moving them, I've tried and failed.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

She will more than likely move them back, unless you put her in a locked location. Depends on how far away though. Hens aren't stupid - they gather them where they feel comfortable. Maybe if you could move the hen and the eggs at the same time, like slip a blanket under the nest and move it all at once.

4. rghornbeck

rghornbeck New Egg

Nov 13, 2009
    Hi. My experience has been that a good broody hen can be transferred to a private place and still set successfully. Make the move at night and be very gentle. What I have done with a first time setter is to move her with just a few fake eggs, and then if she continues to broody (which all mine have done), then I will place the real hatching eggs under her. A hen that is too flighty about being moved is not likely to be a good setter and mother. Good luck!

5. spamanon

spamanon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2008
    Thanks, she is a pretty flighty bird. The problem is that she has set up camp under a pile of logs where nobody can reach her easily. I could move her, but it would be a chore and probably not very neat of an operation.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Than I would leave her. She clearly wants her privacy. Put food and water under her nose. Alot of broodies don't leave the nest ever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by