brooding hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Nurses, May 13, 2009.

1. Nurses

Nurses New Egg

May 13, 2009
    :)Hi, I'm a newbie...Anyway, I ordered silkie eggs when two of my girls went broody...However, the lady wasn't able to send immediately, but they should be arriving tomorrow...The hens have been sitting for almost two weeks...I want to take their eggs and put under another hen, and put the ordered eggs under them but that means they will have to sit for almost two weeks longer...Will they do it?...Is this detrimental to the hens?...Thanks for any info of those who have tried this...Tricia

2. Chickfever

Chickfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    I don't know how healthy it is for the hen but my one and only broody hen stayed on the nest for 3 months trying to hatch some eggs. She's still healthy and has been broody 2 other times and is broody now.

3. Nurses

Nurses New Egg

May 13, 2009
    Well, I always keep food and water very close by the hens, and also offer them wheat bread, mixed veggies, fruit, scrambled eggs,wheat germ, etc. as treats...Well, it's worth a try, as this is the third time I have ordered these eggs, from Oregon all the way to SW Florida...The other two times I used an incubator...Mine hatched OK, but out of both hatches, I only ended up with two chicks of the ones I bought...Thanks for your reply...Tricia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by