brooding hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kev6in, Mar 25, 2012.

1. kev6in

kev6in Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    I am 6 months in to raising chickens. One hen is and has been sitting on eggs for 4 days now, Is there anything special I should do ? The eggs are in the nesting box right on plywood as these hens kick the shavings ou?.thanks for your help

2. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Are the eggs fertile? If you want her to hatch the eggs and raise chicks, I would put her in a separate pen so that the other chickens don't pick on the chicks and so that you can put food and water within her reach so she doesn't have to leave the nest and so she gets enough.

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

I dissagree with the food and water being close to the nest. Broodies need to leave the nest for a short period to stretch, eat , drink, and perhaps a quick dust bath, and elimination. The seperate housing is good and her nest should be at ground level so the chicks can leave/enter the nest for the first few days. Then just leave her alone and let nature take it's course. In other words, don't bother her. Have fun.......Pop

4. kev6in

Sep 26, 2011
    ok...... Pop made me laugh, and Thanks for your advice . It makes sense to me yes they are fertile or should be anyway.

5. kev6in

Sep 26, 2011
    yes fertile . I took that part for granted being a father of 3. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by