Brooding Large Amounts Of Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lichicks, Jan 28, 2009.

1. lichicks

lichicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2008
    Hello Everyone,

My wife and I raise different chicks and other exotics as a hobby. We normaly raise them until they are fully feathered and sell them locally. My question and problem is this. Normaly I do assorted breeds totalling 50 chicks, I'm placing an order for 300 different chicks this time, 25 of each. I dont have shed space, no room in the house. I do have a section in the backyard approx 16 ft long. I dont want to build some big expensive thing, Just something small but functional to brood them outside until they are fully feathered and I sell them. Looking to spend just a few hundred. Obviously because of the cold here in NY I'm running heat lamps. So It has to be kept in mind that it cant be drafty. Does anyone have any pics or ideas about something I can construct? I just dont want it looking like an eye sore. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a new site I set up and am getting pre-orders for the breeds I'll be raising. Thank You again in advance P.S. I dont want to mix the different breeds together so it will have to be one unit with seperate compartments, or seperate units. Also I normaly get my Vhicks from Murry McMurry but for this amount the prices are too high. I was thinking of going with Welp, any input?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  2. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I suggest that you figure this out BEFORE you order the chicks -- especially since the outdoor temps in NY right now are not ideal for ANY chickens -- much less day old chicks!!!

3. lichicks

Dec 10, 2008
    yes I was planning to, I just sold of the last of the last batch I brooded. Now I want to figure this out and order the 300

4. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    do you have a Lowe's or Home Depot around you? if so they have a building that i bought and use for around $200.00, then i lined the inside with cheap plywood, and put shelfs 2ftx8ft that way had room for brooder on bottom and top, the shead is 8x10. would take pic's but cam is broke. william

5. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    welcome [​IMG] where in NY are you? I am in westchester [​IMG]

6. lichicks

Dec 10, 2008
    I am in Medford Long Island. And Yes Plenty Of Home Depots, Just Wish I knew what building you were refering to.

7. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    the tin one, with sliding doors on front. 8ftx 10ft they may be more up north, for i am in NC william

8. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    you sure you want 300 all at once, i did over 500 but I hatched (mostly) my own and did it in stages. I brooded in a shed after some were 2-3 weeks and went through a 40 lb tank of propane evey other day. the shed is about 15 x18 and fully insulated. if you crowd them to much you will lose more than you think. plus it will take longer than you think to care for them.

9. lichicks

Dec 10, 2008
    I was actualy coinsidering using an empty unfinished apartment I have next door and do 4x6ft wide by 3 ft deep breeding units for each 25. Being the aprtment has baseboard heating I dont see it being a big expense

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  10. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    how are you planning on heat for each 25 batch of chicks? heat lamps? the apartment alone will not be warm enuff,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by