1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brooding muscovies

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Brookenheil, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Brookenheil

Brookenheil Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2015
    Vancouver, WA
    Hello all,
    So all 3 of my muscovy hens are now laying. When I cracked open one of the eggs the other day it was fertile so we have been leaving the eggs in the nest. As of today there are 18 eggs in the nest. Does anyone know how many eggs have to be there before my hens will start to brood?

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

2. HannahDuckLover

HannahDuckLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2015
    They don't always go broody immediately. Our Muscovies started laying in January. However, it was April before any went broody. That mom turned out to be a bad mother, as she kept moving her nest and pooping in it...no success. In May, another one went broody and was very successful. So you may have to eat the eggs, in case they don't go broody for a few months.

3. Brookenheil

Aug 14, 2015
    Vancouver, WA
    Darn. We were really hoping for some babies. We have 5 hens (2 khakis) so we have eggs aplenty. Luckily our 4 chickens are currently molting otherwise we would be swimming in eggs. How long should I wait to pull the eggs to see if any of them are going to brood?

Also thank you for such a quick response.

4. HannahDuckLover

Jul 10, 2015
    Hmm..I would suggest just taking all the eggs now (although always leaving one or two) and as soon as they start acting broody, stop collecting them and let them accumulate.

I think eggs can sit out for up to two weeks, or six weeks if kept in the fridge.

5. Brookenheil

Aug 14, 2015
    Vancouver, WA
    I noticed one of our hens is laying on them at night, however during the day she is up foraging in the yard so I'm thinking those eggs might not be any good since they are going from mother's heat at night to on their own during the day. Should we lock her in the hutch? Sorry I'm asking so many questions, but these are my first ducks and their first eggs.

6. HannahDuckLover

Jul 10, 2015
    She's probably starting to get broody! She may do that for up to a week, and then she will either give up or start sitting full-time. Great! You don't need to lock her in the hutch. If she wants to set, she'll get down to business soon enough. Just wait. I think the eggs will still be good - just candle them after she's sat on them full-time for a week. Not sure though.

7. Brookenheil

Aug 14, 2015
    Vancouver, WA
    Great! I have my fingers crossed. :) Thank you again for your help!!

8. Brookenheil

Aug 14, 2015
    Vancouver, WA
    Good news. She is now laying on them day and night!! :) I don't know how many of them will hatch, but we are pretty excited. I have put her own food and water in the hutch with her since she doesn't appear to leave. Is this necessary, or will she leave to eat?

9. HannahDuckLover

Jul 10, 2015
    They do leave (and they must, to poop), but only very briefly and only very few times per day. I do put food and water nearby, because I have an isolated brooding pen. I put everything she needs – food, water, and bathtub (they do need to bath occasionally to regulate the humidity) – in the pen.

10. Brookenheil

Aug 14, 2015
    Vancouver, WA
    Ok, thank you very much! I have put her own food and water in the hutch for her and the pool we have is right outside the hutch, so hopefully she will still go there. Can't wait to see if we get any babies next month. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by