Brooding or not?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenjac, Dec 7, 2013.

1. chickenjac

chickenjac New Egg

Jul 28, 2013
    I have two chickens that will not come out of the nesting boxes, a Sorama and a Polish, both have been laying eggs for several months, no chick, cause we had to get rid of the roosters,(mean nieghbors) anyway, the reason I am asking is becauses there are no eggs, they stopped laying when the temp got cooler, what are they doing and how can I stop it, they are not eating, I am worried!!!

2. The Farm

The Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2013
    Luther, OK
    From what I am getting they are broody you could always buy eggs off CL the hen will almost always keep them warm all winter long and then the chicks should start laying in the spring =]

3. chickenjac

chickenjac New Egg

Jul 28, 2013
    But how do I get them to eat, they look skinny!

4. The Farm

The Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2013
    Luther, OK
    Just keep them on full feed then they are broody. If you don't want them to go broody then you can pull the eggs and or remove the nest box if they aren't laying. Good Luck!!! = ]

5. If you want them to hatch eggs, (when did you get rid of your rooster the eggs can stay fertile for 2 weeks?) give them fertile eggs. Pull them off the nest each day to take a break. If you don't want them to brood just pull them off the nest and try to get them to stay off.
    Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by