Brooding Outside in the Heat

mphsgal

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 16, 2012
I need to move my 2 week old chicks to a small, secure, shaded, well-ventilated outside coop with perches. Our highs are in the mid to upper 90sF ( heat index can get as high as 110F with humidity) and lows around 80F.
Do I need to put the heating pad cave in there, even if it's off? What ambient temp is dangerous? Will I need to cool them down? Is a mister OK so long as they don't actually get wet? Should I put ice in their water and/or offer fruit in ice?
They won't be allowed out unless I just put them on grass with me standing watch. I don't have any other chickens.
Thanks!

chickens are okay if they get wet, they just don't like getting wet, put ice in their water, you can give them watermelon you can freeze it if you want to (my ducks and chickens love it) you know that you need to cool them down if they are panting, their wings are not being held to their sides as in kind of drooping

chickens are okay if they get wet, they just don't like getting wet, put ice in their water, you can give them watermelon you can freeze it if you want to  (my ducks and chickens love it) you know that you need to cool them down if they are panting, their wings are not being held to their sides as in kind of drooping

Thanks. I know the symptoms of overheating but I was trying to avoid running out to check on them ten times a day. Although I probably will anyway LOL!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom