Brooding question (probably somewhere else but couldn't find the answer to my question)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by defenderinfaith, Jul 5, 2016.

1. defenderinfaith

defenderinfaith Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2016
    Southern New Mexico
    So we have Plymouth Rock hen, who until we got new chicks didn't give a lick about her eggs, when we got new babies, she showed great interest in the baby chicks. We had had her for nearly a year and half to two years at this point, and she'd never showed interest. Suddenly she went super broody. Growling at us if we reached for her, and managed to hatch one egg. This however ended badly because we weren't prepared and the poor thing drowned, I was heart broken but she was too. We'd managed to hatch 2 others in an incubator and tried to give her them. She took them just fine, until the other hens killed them.She stopped laying for nearly 4 months after that and we were really worried about her. Then she started laying again but not brooding. We then tried to hatch some more eggs in the incubator, 18 eggs, only 5 were apparently fertilized and only 2 hatched. Our lesson learned we did not put the babies with the adults, but in their own special coop. However Mamasita (we named her this because she was so good with the babies) started to notice the babies, she doesn't want anything to do with these two however she is brooding again.

So my main question is :

What is the best way to help make her more comfortable and keep at it? I understand there is no real way to make a bird brood, but since she's showing interest I really want to do everything I can to make sure nothing stops her now. The adult chickens are no longer attacking the babies, and actually don't seem to mind them when they get out while I'm cleaning their coop, so I'm not overly worried about her ability to protect her own.

Should I be making sure there is food and water in her hutch or just near by?

Should we try separating her from the others?

Should we be giving her more proteins or nutrients while shes sitting?

Should we make sure she has extra water? ( we live in the desert and its an average of 100F most days)

Should we just let her be?

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I make so her location is quite and a little off from where most of the chicken traffic is located. Water and food is kept at least several feet away from nest if possible. Do not disturb her while she is on the nest.

3. defenderinfaith

defenderinfaith Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2016
    Southern New Mexico
    Cool beans, I'll move some food into the coop. Right now we have it set out in the yard since we don't lock them in the coop at night (we have a 6 foot fence around the yard because of the dogs). So I'll move some in for her, she in the hutch furthest from the door so she should be good there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by