broodry hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by roosters97, Jan 25, 2008.

1. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    how to find hen?any special breed made for this cochins, silkies.......

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Silkies lay an egg then sit on it it seems like. They are eggselent broodies!

3. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    My bantam cochins have been broody since they were 20 weeks old. I just brought 2 broodies and thier single nest in the house since the temps have dipped to single digets. They hatched 9 out of 10 eggs that day. I really didn't think any would hatch because of the terrible cold weather we have been having in MI. Maybe that is why they worked together on one nest. While one was out the other kept the eggs warm. Although cochins have proven to be great broodies, some have a lot to learn about being good mommies. I find the brahmas make not only good broodies but also are very good mommies. None of my brahmas have gone broody since the weather got cold though. Maybe they are smarter than cochins. I have also found that it is impossible to break a broody cochin. I had one that went 5 months sitting on an empty nest and one right now that is working on 4 months.

Brooster, [​IMG] my light brahma is named Brooster the Rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by