Broody 101?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jencleg, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    As a new chicken mom, I know NOTHING about what broody means..... [​IMG] any have any "broody for dummies" info for me?

2. Rammy

Rammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2008
    Broody means you have a hen that wants to sit on her eggs and hatch them out. Usually you will know when the hen sits in the nest box all day every day. Sometimes when you reach for the eggs she may peck you and make a growling noise and puff up her feathers. I just had one go broody on me and Im eggsited!!

Rammy

3. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    What happens if you give a non-broody hen some chicks when she's in the nest box?

4. Jencleg

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    So my stupid questions are~ In order to hatch them, they have to be fertilized...does she know when they are fertilized? or would she sit on just anything? Which comes first the broodiness or the eggs? IF one becomes broody and there are no fertilized eggs on site, is that when you can order some and put them under her to hatch? [​IMG]

5. uncle rico

uncle rico Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Spring Green, WI
    The hen has no idea if they're fertile or not. Many times she'll go broody with nothing under her. Once she goes broody though, you can order some fertile eggs and put them under her. The hen will take care of the rest, and 3 weeks later, if all goes well, you'll have chicks.

6. Jencleg

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    Quote:Sweet! Thank you...I was so confused!! [​IMG]

7. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I had a broody sitting on and viciously guarding a golf ball [​IMG] Don't mess with the broody hen!!

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  9. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Quote:I wouldn't do that. Non-broodies will more than likely kill chicks. There's not much you can do to entice a chicken to go broody, if that was the reason for your question.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by