Broody 6 month old Pullet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by EdistoChicks, Sep 18, 2010.

1. EdistoChicks

EdistoChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    Edisto Island, SC
    I have been wondering why I have only been getting one egg from two hens lately. I found out why. One of my pullets decided to start a nest under the lawn tractor. She was sitting on 3 eggs. They can't be fertile, our roo is housed separately, now if the guinea cocks got to her that is another story. I thought it was cute. She was HOT under the tractor because it was covered by a tarp. My dog scared her away and I snuck the eggs out. Here is a pic...

[​IMG]

2. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    LOL BO mine were always trying to go broody. Maybe you should giver her some guinea eggs in a small coop. My hens were great at raising the guinea keets.

3. EdistoChicks

EdistoChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    Edisto Island, SC
    I have a bunch in my incubator right now [​IMG] Next time she can take them.

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:If they have more then a week to go and she seems set on being broody I'd just give her some. I did that to one of my BA's with duck eggs and it was sooooo much easier then having messy ducklings in the brooder. Of course she was scarred for life when her "chicks" discoverd the creek and wouldn't come out of the water no matter how much she squawked at them, but that is a whole 'nother story.

5. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    [​IMG] Same thing happened to us with a broody hen and what we thought were two large chicken eggs!

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Two Brahma girls I hatched did the same thing on me. They only started to lay at about 26 weeks. One has hatched three clutches and the other two in their first year of life (BUT they have only laid about 40 eggs between them in the whole time I have had them!)

Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by