Broody 8 Month Old Ameraucana - Will she continue this habit?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MyTMo, Feb 1, 2015.

1. MyTMo

MyTMo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2014
    Novato, CA
    This is my 1st experience with a broody hen. She, "Flappy" gave my heart a whirl when I went into their open run and she was no where to be found. The ladies had made a lot of noise a bit earlier, I checked on them but didn't see anything out of the normal. But searching for her in their coop I couldn't find her! I searched the back side of their run but no Flappy. I was so sad, I truly thought she was gone. Then I see a beautiful blue egg sitting on the ground. Looking a little closer. Who do I see hiding in the ivy with 3 eggs under her, sweet Flappy. Jeesh, my heart was in my stomach at this point. I was so relieved finding her and her eggs. We hadn't had an egg from her for several days and I was becoming concerned. Now this explains it all!
    My question is this - will she continue this habit even after I break her this time? Does this mean she is a broody hen? Or is it just a term used when they are actually in the act? Thanks for listening and for sharing your knowledge.
    [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They are broody when they desire to set and incubate eggs. It is not a 'habit' - it is hormonally controlled/dictated. She will most likely continue to have broody spells throughout your lifetime. I have had hens that would go broody and raise chicks four or five times a year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by