broody a good mom

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by keystonepaul, May 4, 2009.

1. keystonepaul

keystonepaul Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Pocono
    Well were up to two chicks all yellow and fluffy and lively. Two eggs to go. 6 eggs were infertile, 5 developed, one died hatching, two are all fluffy, two are still in thier shell. We'll see. She's doing a great job with her two and even pecked me once half heartedly. She hadn't pecked me at all along the way to that point. STill pretty tolerent, just let me know she was a mom. LOL. Sure has been neat to watch. Keystonepaul

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    [​IMG] [​IMG] CONGRATS on the babies !!!

Way to go mama hen [​IMG] Keep up the good work [​IMG]

3. keystonepaul

May 14, 2008
    Pocono
    another little fluffy butt is pipping. She's not fluffy yet but wants to be!! Keystonepaul

4. chicky gal1

chicky gal1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    PA
    congrats Paul!!! [​IMG] How did they do?

I can't wait for these guys here to hatch thanks to you [​IMG] !!!

5. keystonepaul

May 14, 2008
    Pocono
    Chicky gal, she hatched 3 successfully, 2 others died during hatch. She's been a terrific mom. In the last several days she started venturing with them away from her nest exploring her side of the hen house with them. They are getting bigger, looking good. Put 10 eggs under another broody since she was so set on hatching eggs. How have you found the incubator!! How's your temp and humidity been. Good luck! Paul

6. chicky gal1

chicky gal1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    PA
    That's awesome! congrats on those little fuzzy butts!! Ours seem to be doing well. We have been keeping up temp and humidity pretty well and candled on day 7, saw activity in almost all of them!!! [​IMG] We will candle again tomorrow (day 14). do you line your bator with anything when you take out the turner? I'm hoping to keep it as clean as possible. i heard some people use egg cartons but I just worry that the chicks will have to struggle so much to get out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by