Broody? About to lay an egg? Is my girl OK?

nieceharr

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 25, 2008
Connecticut
Hi,

First of all, I'm not sure what people mean by a hen being "broody" - does that mean she sits on an egg to hatch it?

Secondly, I got my very first egg yesterday from one of my 22-week old RIRs
yippiechickie.gif
. However, she is acting weird today - panting (it is hot here and a few others are panting as well) and acting sleepy and standing/sitting with her rear in the air. I also couldn't help but notice that her rear (the vent, I think???) is swollen and throbbing and the "opening" is big (I hope I explained it correctly). Is she OK? Is she going to lay another egg?

Broody means that the hen is trying to sit on eggs regardless if theres a egg in the nest.
I'm not too sure but the hen may be eggbound (FYI the "opening" is called a vent)

im not an expert, but it sounds like she might be egg bound. Alot of times the first eggs are QUITE a bit larger than the regular eggs they will lay. Especially in RIRs or Red or gold sex links. I have heard of some heavy breeds laying two eggs in one day on the first day...But it definitely sounds like she is Egg constipated
smile.png
Sorry I dont have a rememedy for you, maybe somebody will have some better info for you,

Another question. In looking at other posts with egg-bound hens, I see that their rears are "dragging" or low. My hen's rear is up in the air. Is that still a sign of being egg-bound? I'm getting worried!

you would not see the egg but you would feel it. some people suggest giving an eggbound hen a warm bath to relax her muscles so she can release the egg, dont try and pull it out.

A hen will tend to stand on one place and walk funny if shes eggbound, you can also feel the egg in her abdomen.

If shes eggbound try putting her in a tub of warm (not hot) water for about 10-15 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom