Broody? About to lay an egg? Is my girl OK?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nieceharr, Jul 16, 2008.

1. nieceharr

nieceharr Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Hi,

First of all, I'm not sure what people mean by a hen being "broody" - does that mean she sits on an egg to hatch it?

Secondly, I got my very first egg yesterday from one of my 22-week old RIRs [​IMG]. However, she is acting weird today - panting (it is hot here and a few others are panting as well) and acting sleepy and standing/sitting with her rear in the air. I also couldn't help but notice that her rear (the vent, I think???) is swollen and throbbing and the "opening" is big (I hope I explained it correctly). Is she OK? Is she going to lay another egg?

2. ChickyPooh

ChickyPooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    South GA
    Broody means that the hen is trying to sit on eggs regardless if theres a egg in the nest.
    I'm not too sure but the hen may be eggbound (FYI the "opening" is called a vent)

3. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    im not an expert, but it sounds like she might be egg bound. Alot of times the first eggs are QUITE a bit larger than the regular eggs they will lay. Especially in RIRs or Red or gold sex links. I have heard of some heavy breeds laying two eggs in one day on the first day...But it definitely sounds like she is Egg constipated [​IMG] Sorry I dont have a rememedy for you, maybe somebody will have some better info for you,

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    This is a broody hen:

5. nieceharr

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    I looked at her more closely, but am a little nervous about hurting her. If she is egg-bound, would I see the egg?

6. nieceharr

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Another question. In looking at other posts with egg-bound hens, I see that their rears are "dragging" or low. My hen's rear is up in the air. Is that still a sign of being egg-bound? I'm getting worried!

7. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    you would not see the egg but you would feel it. some people suggest giving an eggbound hen a warm bath to relax her muscles so she can release the egg, dont try and pull it out.

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    A hen will tend to stand on one place and walk funny if shes eggbound, you can also feel the egg in her abdomen.

If shes eggbound try putting her in a tub of warm (not hot) water for about 10-15 minutes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by