broody adopting hatchery chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChicksR4Me, Sep 21, 2010.

1. ChicksR4Me

ChicksR4Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I ordered 10 chicks from my local feed store. I knew the exact day they would arrive. I just happen to have a broody hen and decided to let her sit on a few eggs and let her have them and timed it out so they would hatch on the same day that I would get the 10.. one day old chicks. Well......... so far everything has gone as planned.. today i picked up the 10 chicks after work.. and when I got home, 2 of the 3 eggs she was sitting on have hatched. Now what I would like to do is let the broody mama chicken raise the 2 she hatched plus the 10 I bought. The chicks are only one day apart in age... but i'm afraid to put them in with her and she does not like me even near her nest. I've heard of it being done but i'm scared to death she will hurt them. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get her to accept these chicks? thanks

2. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Some will except other chicks and some wont. I have a Speckled Sussex that is now rearing babies I hatched in the incubator she just loves being a mum. Try adding them at night when she is calm and quiet would be my best suggestion.

3. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I have heard to tuck them under her at night when she is sleepy, but I have not tried it, myself. I'll be watching this thread as I have a broody on two remaining eggs, and if anything happens to them, plan B is to buy two chicks and slip them under her at night.

4. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Give them to her at night in darkness, the age difference between hers and adopted ones is minimal, in the morning she won't tell the difference.

5. bumpershoot

bumpershoot Chillin' With My Peeps

did it twice this year with meat babies. One poor banty found herself in charge of 50 meaties. Boy was she surprised, but she did a great job!

6. ChicksR4Me

Dec 1, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I'm kind of wondering if I'm asking too much of her to take on, giving her 10 on top of the 2 that have hatched? To be honest.. I'm kind of scared to do it, not only for the babies.. but she's agressive when I go near the nest.

7. ChicksR4Me

Dec 1, 2008
    North East Indiana
    WoW [​IMG] I guess 10 chicks would be not a big deal compared to 50 meaties! lol

8. DelawareSilkie

DelawareSilkie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    the fall back plan would be to separate the newly hatched chicks in a plastic container or cardboard box if their feathers are missing. Cause if their feather's is missing then that means the hen or other chickens means that they;re picking on them. the main objective is to make sure they're healthy enough and strong enough to join the rest of the flock to provide for you the healthy eggs they were deigned to produce with from the beginning.

Also, mother hens can take on as many number of chicks as you darn well want them too. Nothing is too much to ask them for. As far as they're concerned watching and teaching over 50 chicks to live and prosper is like a normal teacher concerning our present day sons and daughters going to school.

9. DelawareSilkie

DelawareSilkie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    Quote:

10. ChicksR4Me

Dec 1, 2008
    North East Indiana
    ok.. so I need to do it in the darkness when she's sleepy.. I can wear gloves and longs sleves so she doesn't peck me.. It is very dark and I would think I would need a flashlight so I can see what I'm doing. Would the light from a flashlight wake her up enough to become aggressive? Or do I need to do it totally by feel? i'm thinking that would not be easy wearing gloves. Please someone, help me muster up some courage [​IMG] Its 8:30 now.. just getting completely dark. Should I wait an hour or so till she's real good and sleepy or go for it now? I'm feeling like a coward!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by