Broody after hatch question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Amyh, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    My broody is scheduled to hatch her eggs this weekend. If nothing hatches, I'm planning to give her a few babies on Monday. My question is, can I leave her in the coop with the rest of the flock? I already have a grow out pen for some other chicks and I don't really want to separate her if I don't have to. Three different areas of chickens is too much for me to manage with two kids, the garden and everything else I have going on.

If I leave her in the main coop, can things go okay?

2. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine stays with the flock. Makes it so much easier except you have to change them all over to a grower crumble when the chicks are able t get at their food. Not a big deal though [​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Depends upon the size of the coop/pen and the hen's position in the pecking order. If enough space she can keep away from the others. If she is a dominant hen she will be better able to fend off the others if they go after her chicks.

4. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    Quote:We have six full grown hens of which she is at the bottom of the pecking order. I just added another four hens that are about 10 weeks old, so she will be above them. The coop is large and they have an attached pen. Normally, they free range an acre from 3pm until 9pm, but I will be on vacation about a week after hatch and I won't be allowing them to free range during that time. The other birds stay in the pen all day, I only see them enter the coop to lay an egg, so if they babies need to hide, they have a large area as well as six nesting boxes to get into.

Do you think that will work? I don't want the person caring for my chickens while I'm on vacation to have to take care of three sets, so if I can't combine Mommy and her brood, I will have to have someone else watch her.

5. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I think keeping her in the group should be fine. nything can happen however, but I would try it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by