Broody again...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MonkeyZero, Nov 23, 2009.

1. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    My hen(silkie) went broody
    However, this time, since we have no bedding in the coop, she picked a few feathers, and some from the other hen. She then spread the feathers all around her
    Then sat on the egg

is this norm?
    [​IMG]

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

The chicks in our avatar are from the fourth hatch from the same broody this year. She no more then gets done with one batch and she wants to hatch another batch.

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:I don't have any silkies, yet [​IMG] but from what I've read that sounds about right. I've read of them going broody with their first 1/2 dozen eggs, deciding to be momma to younger chicks instead of picking on them when they're only a few months old, and brooding multiple clutches a year.

I have all LF right now, but I think I'll get a few pet silkies that can brood for me too. They seem like lovely little birds.

4. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    I know they go broody lots
    But is it bad for em? like health wise?
    And whats up with the nest with feathers?
    [​IMG]

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    It can be bad for any hen if they don't get enough nutriton. If you can keep food and water in front of her and she'll take it I'd think she'd be ok unless she's really worn down from her previous efforts.

I think the feathers are just indicitive of a very determined little broody trying to find a way. I'd bet she'll be hard to break if you don't want her to hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by