Broody AGAIN!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dixiedoodle, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I am so worried about my Ameraucana hen. She was broody for 7weeks and finally came off the nest box two weeks ago, thin, white comb but seemed ok. I am trying to 'fatten' her up a little...and here she is on the nest again today! I tried eggs but that didn't work (broken, double yolked-kicked out etc). I have 11 five week old, Blue and Black true Ameraucana chicks.. I am thinking of seeing if she will except them. She seems very interested in them--trying to 'look' up into their coop.. I am at a loss. I am afraid if she goes full broody this quickly, I will loose her... Do you have any suggestions? Thanks Dixie

2. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I heard if you take them out and put her in her own place (like a quarantine cage with a wire bottom) where she doesn't really have a nesting place, that that will make them stop.

But I'm a newbie, so I haven't experienced this problem before, hopefully someone with more experience will chime in soon. [​IMG]

Sending good wishes your way!
    [​IMG]

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Here's a good thread on breaking broody hens. I break the ones that I don't want to have set on eggs or foster chicks on for the very reasons you describe--they just get too run down.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2176186

I doubt if she'll take chicks that are 5-weeks old, but if you can find some day olds that would probably make her happy.

Another thing I do is to give all my broody girls a scrambled egg every couple of days to help keep them in condition.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by