Broody AGAIN

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pgpoultry, Nov 7, 2011.

1. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I have a huge Dark Brahma hen, Mrs Grey, who was broody four times in her first year and three times last year.

This year she hatched her first clutch and stayed with the chicks until they were nearly 15 weeks old. She laid about 6 eggs and then went broody again, staying with them until they were 10 weeks old. That was 3 weeks ago, and she has not laid any eggs.....but today is broody again. Oh man....this is the true earth mother of all hens.

Here she is with her daughter (Mrs G is the hefty girl on the right)

[​IMG]

2. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    [​IMG] broodies are the best!!!! dont have to waste money on an incubator lol i would love some of those

Send me eggs!

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Gotta love a great broody! I'd rather hatch under a broody any day!

4. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sure crossing my fingers one of my silkies will be a broody machine! Lucky you! [​IMG]

5. crossgirl

crossgirl Day Dream Believer

Mar 15, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    She's a beautiful hen! I have three banties, all 8 months old. The buff brahma and the Japanese are in their 2nd broody phase and the frizzle has joined them. This is a bit much!! I planned to wait til spring and hatch at least two clutches but I'm wondering how many times will I have to go through this before spring!? [​IMG] I think their going to follow in your hen's lead.

6. FarmerGrant011

FarmerGrant011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    WHOAA talk about a broody mommy!

7. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    so pretty! [​IMG]

8. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I've never had one quite so determined to sit. She is a bit of a 'one off' and sleeps with the dog on his bed in the outhouse, has hatched eggs there,comes into the house by herself, and is the most contented bird imaginable

[​IMG]

Here with one of her broods who she also used to bring in daily for treats.

She is alpha hen, too.

9. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    I have a bantam RIR she is 2 and has been broody 8 times. She is my incubator we are lucky I say [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by