Broody already???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by coloradochick, Jun 26, 2008.

1. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Went out this morning at about 9am, no eggs. Just went out again 12:45pm, 2 eggs and my young RIR is sitting on them [​IMG] When I tried to move her heiny to see if there were eggs, she was very reluctant. She sat back down after I quickly got my peek. She just started laying on the 18th and she's going on 23 weeks old. Is this young to start setting or is it normal?

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    I've had a Silky go broody at 25 weeks (began laying at 21 and a half weeks) and a Cochin go broody at 23 weeks old (began laying at 19 and a half weeks).

Are you going to let her sit and hatch them?

Dawn

3. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Awww...sweet little mamas.

4. coloradochick

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Well, this is just par for my course since I ordered a Brower Top Hatch on Tuesday. [​IMG] Had I not ordered it she wouldn't be sittin.

I think I'm going to let her stay on them and see how it goes. I have a question though. In my first post I stated that there was no egg at 9am and then there were 2 at 12:45. Could these possibly both be hers or is she sitting on hers and someone elses. [​IMG] I've been getting 2 eggs a day since the 18th but not this close together.

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Since there was no egg at 9, I'm suspecting she adopted another hens egg also. [​IMG]

Dawn

6. coloradochick

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Okay, another maybe dumb ?....or two.....Will that be an issue with the other girl? And both eggs look exactly alike (shape, color, and size), so is it most likely my other RIR's or could it be the BR's?

7. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    My hen adopted everyones eggs. lol [​IMG]

If you can let her hatch them out. My 1st broody hatched her chicks over the weekend, and after doing both incubator and now a broody, I have to say that the broody hatch is WAY better and WAY funner to see!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by