Broody Ameraucana - freaks out in crate

SweetAdelaide

In the Brooder
May 3, 2020
One of our Ameraucanas has been broody for at least three weeks now. We do not have a roo. She will occasionally get off nest to eat/drink and I’ve removed her many times. She’ll go in run a bit and then head back.

I’ve finally just tried a dog crate but she immediately freaked out, spilling food and water, flapping about, squawking, and pushing her head through the holes. I swear she’s going to break her neck.

I’m at a loss as to what do next. I really don’t want to bring her inside or separate as I cannot afford the time and energy to reintroduce.

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
You could hit TSC and get a few chicks, and put them under her at night...see if she takes them as her own in the morning.

rosemarythyme

Scarborough Fair
6 Years
Jul 3, 2016
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
My Coop
It's normal for them to be upset (spilled food and water are a very common occurrence). I let them pace and scream and just fix the food and water as needed. I'd only be worried about her sticking her head out while flipping out, so maybe try covering the openings in the crate with chicken wire or taut bird netting, just to ensure she can't do that?

3KillerBs

Addict
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
She's behaving normally for the situation.

She'll calm down after a bit and you can replace the spilled food and water then.

My Cordon had a massive freak-out the first night she saw the flock going into the coop without her (my broody breaker is in the run), but was OK the rest of the time.

Top Bottom