Broody Ancona- advise please?

Twoandhelp

Chirping
Apr 7, 2015
Ok my ducks are 7 months old one of the anconas is broody (took me a while to figure it out) so I left her egg in her nest today and added the two others that were laid by her sisters. Got home from church and she's sitting on them! Yay!
but here's my queries:
1. Will she lay more eggs to add to her nest?
2. Just put some eggs in incubator yesterday- can I let her try to hatch some of those?
3. Winter is coming- will she be able to keep ducklings warm (with help of heat lamp)?
4. Will other ducks and drakes pick on them if she manages to hatch them?
If there's anything I'm not thinking of- let me know! Never hatched my own ducklings!
Thank you!

1. Will she lay more eggs to add to her nest?
Maybe, but not for long. She'll stop soon if she's still laying.

2. Just put some eggs in incubator yesterday- can I let her try to hatch some of those?]
Yes, but only if they are on the same schedule and will hatch after she sits for 28 days.

3. Winter is coming- will she be able to keep ducklings warm (with help of heat lamp)?
I think so. It doesn't snow here, so I'm not positive.

4. Will other ducks and drakes pick on them if she manages to hatch them?
Maybe. Probably. You should definitely separate them.

Also, make sure you have a plan for what you will do with the ducklings when they hatch - keep them, sell them, give them away, eat them...?

Thanks HannahDuckLover! We rarely get snow either so if yours are good, ours will probably be fine. Ill make sure their area has a heat lamp.
The incubator eggs just started yesterday so they are just one day ahead of the eggs she has now. Any ideas how many eggs and ancona can sit on? Ill try to look that up. She has three and I have 13 in the incubator.
As for my plans- I will keep them. We love duck eggs and have a good market for them. And we really love having the ducks around. I want about 2-3 dozen gals and a few drakes for them.

Back
Top Bottom