Broody and day old chicks- not bonding?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RuffledFeathers, Apr 9, 2009.

1. RuffledFeathers

RuffledFeathers Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2009
    Issaquah, WA
    I have a first time broody BO that sat for about 2 weeks and was very dedicated so we gave her 3 day-olds last night. The graft seemed to go well and she has been with them for 24 hours- not pecking at them, letting them climb under and over, etc. What I am concerned about is that she is still refusing to budge from the nest even though the babies are popping out and running around. I dragged her out and moved the food and water over to her thinking she would do the "mothering" and show the babies the food- but it was every man for himself and she gulped down everything for herself!
    I have a broody Cochin that hatched out babies about 6 weeks ago and is the perfect mother. I hate to compare my girls but their behaviors are so different that I am worried these new babies are going to be abandoned. Am I seeing a difference in bonding because one was a hatch and the other store-bought? Or is this breed related or hormones or just a confused first timer?
    I think I also see more detachment from the chicks- they are venturing much further and not running back for protection like the hatched babies did.
    Anyone with experience on this- will the bond improve or should I be be worried she may quit her new job?

2. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    Take them and put in a brooder. No worries.

3. new-roo

new-roo Scrambled

Oct 19, 2007
    The difference is one actually hatched, and bonded from minute one, and the other you are trying to convince chicks that thier first 3 days didnt happen, and your trying to get a hen to(for lack of better word) adopt someone elses chicks as her own. I would put them in a brooder, before she decides to turn on them.

Edited to add [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  4. cwhit590

cwhit590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    SW Michigan
    Hey RuffledFeathers! [​IMG]

I'm actually going thru the same thing right now! I have a 1 yr old BO that went broody for the first time about a month ago. I got my order of chicks from Meyer hatchery in the mail this last week...so I slipped 1 chick under her the first night and she adopted it! So...I went ahead and let her have a few more and she has been doing well with them. She hasn't moved around with them much, but she gets off the nest and she has been teaching them to eat and all that....

Any updates? Did you end up taking the chicks from her or letting her have them? Maybe the reason she's not really in 'chick mode' is because she hasn't been broody for a full 3 weeks? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by