Broody and mom??

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Golden Goosey, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Golden Goosey

Golden Goosey Just Hatched

May 19, 2016
    Hey!
    My two chicks are growing fast, one has feathered wings and back, one with just wings.

However I have a broody girl, and I can't clean the coop with her in it, if I move her she moves back and the coop smells like... I'm not even going to say.
    But it's bad.
    So in my shed where Rita and her chicks are, can I put Marceline (broody chicken) in? Will the chicks bother her? Or will she attack them or something? She hasn't been with Rita for a few weeks now due to the chicks.
    So lost!
    Thanks for any help
    (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

2. Golden Goosey

May 19, 2016
    Oh and guys,
    Marceline was sitting on an egg.
    Next time I checked, 5.
    Then one again.
    There was bits of shell that had no yolk spillage and no chicks.
    She keeps laying and laying and sitting...
    For about 2 months she had narely left the coop and I'm worried...
    What's going on??
    Thankyou!!!

3. SueT

SueT Overrun With Chickens

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Hi! Welcome to BYC!
    2 months is too long to be broody. You might want to read about breaking a broody hen, here's an excellent forum on this site that has helped me, lots of experienced advice...and it has current entries, and the experts will answer your questions if they don't see it in this new member thread.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/181289/how-to-break-a-broody-hen/940#post_17139850
    And you can clean the coop with the broody in there. She'll probably ignore you.

1 person likes this.
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    [​IMG] - glad that you have joined us. I totally agree with @SueT.

All the best
    CT

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Yes, you need to break her of broodiness. It is not healthy for her to go so long without proper eating, drinking, exercise, dust bathing, etc...You need to kick her out of the area for a while...get her in a new place to break her broodiness. Or cage her for a week or so. Some people use the elevated cage method of breaking them. A broodies breast increases in temperature and by keeping them on wire in an elevated cage, it cools the brood patch and stops the broodiness. Definitely follow the link that SueT has provided on breaking broodies.

Good luck and welcome to our flock! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You've received excellent information, so I will just say Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens. Glad to have you here.

8. Golden Goosey

May 19, 2016
    Thankyou all
    I'm relieved she's hanging with the Roo
    But what about the egg she sat on? It's pretty well developed

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    How long has she been setting on it? You can candle it to make sure it is indeed fertile. Get a very bright flash light and shine into the big end of the egg. Get the light right up on the egg. Depending on how long she has been setting, but day 7 or so you should see blood veins. By day 15 or more the egg should contain a big black section where the chick is growing. If you feel the egg is fertile and it hasn't gone cold for more than 24 hours, you might put it in an incubator or under another bird that might be broody. Good luck! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by