Broody and the Beast

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by iloveme_tatertot, Dec 22, 2007.

1. iloveme_tatertot

iloveme_tatertot New Egg

Dec 22, 2007
    Hello, I am new here.
    I have a 9 month old RI Red hen who is all by her lonesome. She became broody a few months back and began laying her eggs right outside my back door for me to conveniently collect (while she was unaware/out of sight of course) Now she has taken to switching her laying spot every day. I have an expansive backyard which makes it difficult for mr to find her new nest and when I finally do there are close to 14 eggs!! Do I haev to toss them out? I live in FL, so it is HOT all the time, are the egss rotten? How long can she sit on them before they go bad? how do take her eggs without her hating me? Thank you!

2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Float the eggs in water if they sink they are ok, if they float toss them.

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    If she's moving her laying spots I don't think she's really broody, a broody will sit on the nest almost all day & night.
    The post above will help determine if the eggs are still edible.

Edited to say: Welcome to BYC!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
  4. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Welcome to byc!

Try to build her a nest box or make one from a large bucket or something that she can get inside of and put wood chips or hay in it. make it cozy and secluded she will find it.

5. iloveme_tatertot

iloveme_tatertot New Egg

Dec 22, 2007
    Super trick with the water...only I found 14 eggs yesterday and I am assuming at least one should be rotten after sitting out in the florida heat for almost two weeks, they all sank. My Tallulah is most definately broody and I have to wait for her "free" time before I can go abouts collecting, if I get near her whilst she is on her nest she fluffs and clucks ferociously (too funny!) I feel like the devil from taking her eggs from her, especially seeing as how she is the only hen I have. Thanks for all the tips!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by