broody area inside coop?

wildorchid053

Songster
10 Years
May 12, 2009
syracuse area, ny
we are now finishing the new coop.. it is 12x16 inside and divided into two "L" shaped sides. on each side in the small L part i want to put in a section incase one of my chicks goes broody next year..should i use hardware cloth or chicken wire.. they will be about 6x 3' areas and i want them to be with the flocks but protected too.

Last edited:
Mine is much like that, of chicken wire. Chicken wire keeps out chickens just fine. But use small gauge or the chicks will go through it (like mine do.)

never thought about the chicks going out.. only keeping the big ones out
lol.png

Like ddawn said Young Chicks can slip through Chicken wire.

If it's in the coop away from outside pests anything can be used that keeps mama & babies in, I used to use plastic mesh that kinda looks like hardware cloth, but if I were you I'd use hardware cloth.

Sorry, can't help it: just got an amused thought: How you gonna make sure a broody hen knows to go be broody there?

(Yes, I know, you'll move her there once you know you've got a broody hen.)

It just struck me funny. I envision a sign with wobbly letters, as if scrawled by chickens: "Brudeez Only!"

I'm doing chicken wire with at least 6-8 inches at the bottom of hardware cloth. My current broody that hatched out her eggs 2 weeks ago was separated with chicken wire and one of the "grown up" chickens was able to peck one of my babies in the eye through the chicken wire.

Here's what I'm building so far, storage on top, brooding on bottom:
SDC10798.jpg

Back
Top Bottom