1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

broody ate her eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sock Puppet, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Grumpy Hen

Mar 3, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    I have a bantam broody that was (I say was) sitting on 5 eggs. 3 LF and 2 of her own. All were fertile.

Well, went out of town came back, she had 4. One totally missing, gone, no where to be found.

Couple of days later, heard a big commotion went out she had 3 and one cracked 2 feet away from the nest. It had been developing.

So I brought her in with the remaining 3 eggs.

Checked on eggs, One was cracked, she was pecking at it, so I removed it. Checked egg, it had been developing.

She had two left.

Checked her a few days later, one cracked and broke. Removed.

One egg left. Day of hatching arrives.

Egg gone, nothing [​IMG]

She's outside getting her broodyness broken. [​IMG]

So does this mean that she will continue to eat any eggs that she may be sitting on if she goes broody again? Is this normal behavior?

2. aalbury

aalbury Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    GA
    I have no experience, but wondered if food was reachable and available while she was on them? I've heard a lot of stories about hens attacking their eggs or new borns too..... I think it's somewhat to be expected out of flocks where all are artificially incubated which is what I think the majority of breeders do. I don't imagine a lot of them risking the viable eggs to mishap.

3. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Grumpy Hen

Mar 3, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Yes, she had food and water that she could get to with ease.

She is actually from a breeder who hatches from an incubator and from broodies. So that is why Im wondering if I should let her ever be a broody.

4. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    if she is young. I give her one more chance. If she dosnt it again. She is gone.

5. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Grumpy Hen

Mar 3, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Quote:I was thinking that. Give her one more chance. This was her first time as a broody. Im just hoping she doesnt become an egg eater.

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I'd also make sure some predator was not sneaking in there and eating eggs. "A big commotion" does not sound like what happens when a broody eats eggs. She just quietly sets there, and thinks to herself, "Hmmmm.... these things probably taste like eggs" and starts sampling them, usually after they have been broken or trampled by her or another hen. Are there other hens in with her? They might be crowding in with her to lay eggs over the clutch she is setting right now and trampling and breaking her eggs, at which point they become fair game to be eaten by any chicken that can gobble faster than another, which would cause a "commotion" like what you heard. Maybe next time set her apart in a quiet area, blocked off from other hens, safe from other predators to give her the best best best chance to see if she is a good broody. I'm not saying you didn't already do this, but just in case you didn't, try it that way next time. Good luck. Sorry for your loss.

7. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Many first time broodies will end up eating their eggs. It is an inborn survival trait. A broody will want to get into the most remote place possible to hatch her chicks. If she feels threatened or feels the chicks are threatened in any way she will usually eat them to protect them and herself. This doesn't mean that she will turn out to be an egg eater in everyday laying. Let her go broody twice more. If possible, get her into a seperate pen and give her a cozy dark place to set. Leave her alone with only minimal contact just to feed and give clean water. If she doesn't hatch any by the third set I would either replace her or incubate her eggs and not let her go broody.

8. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Grumpy Hen

Mar 3, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Thank you for the responses. So there is hope. When I brought her in she with the remaining eggs, she was in a nice dark cozy brooder that I have set up.

I will give her more chances.

9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Oh, and moving them will sometimes cause it too...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by