Broody Attacked hatching chick!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by columbiacritter, May 30, 2010.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Songster

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Ok now I KNOW which broody has been chilling chicks. I saved this one, at least I hope I did. I watched her whack a hole right where it had pipped and was going in for another hard hit when I put my hand in between them. Ow! She would have killed it for sure. Now I have a chick still in the egg, alive, and peeping, no incubator and no other broodies I trust to give it to. I put it under a heat lamp covered with a damp papertowel. What else can I do?

Should I pull all the remaining eggs, there are 18!

What am I going to do with one lonely tiny bantam chick? These are Japanese.

2. talley

talley Hatching

Apr 8, 2010
    I had a similar incident recently. Lost two chicks befor I figured out it was the hen who was responsible.[​IMG] I only had four eggs incubating so I literaly sat in the straw and as each chick hatched I grabbed it and put it under a heat lamp. The hen was fine with setting, but not with the chicks so I let her do that since I had no other hens setting at the time and don't have an incubator. You may be able to save some of them with the snatch and grab technique. Hope this helps and good luck.

3. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Songster

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Snatch and grab wouldn't work since we're not going to be home tomorrow or during the week. Plus she seemed to be attacking as soon as the pipped any hole. We pulled all the eggs and put them down in a brooder with a semi broody hen. We set her on the eggs and she didn't get off but she doesn't look happy. Hopefully she settles in and isn't a murderess like her sister.

If none make it at least we tried. These are my husbands birds and he's very upset. It doesn't help that apparently his buff roo is either sterile or a bad shot. Every chick has been gray like my roo. Double bad news for him.

4. Hannah Jesenko

Hannah Jesenko In the Brooder

Jul 3, 2012
    Somthing like that happened when my sisters silkies hatched out their chicks, the broody would practically attack the chick as soon as it hatched! we just had to wait and grab the chick as soon as it hatched to keep it from getting killed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by