1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Australop???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Frozen Feathers, May 15, 2007.

1. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Has anyone ever had an Australop go broody?? I always thought they wouldn't but mine is sitting on 4 eggs, and has been for 2 days now. I think I'll just let her try and hatch them, I get enough eggs as it is, I'm just curious if anyone has ever witnessed this in the breed.

2. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I have one sitting on 4 eggs right now too!! It surprised me as well. She has been sitting a on and off for about a week and I decided yesterday to let her have the big eggs. So she has 4 eggs she is sitting on just started yesterday. Good luck with yours. I am just going to see what happens too.

3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Angie n Maine, good luck with your broody hen. Hope you have fertilized eggs and they hatch, so you can experience how wonderful a mother hen is.[​IMG]

bigzio

4. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Last year, my only bird to go broody, was one of My Black Australorps, unfortunately She decided to go broody in January!! So I wouldnt let her hatch any eggs. But she was very persistant:)

5. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I didn't realize it's that common for them to go broody. I thought they were strictly layers. it does make sense though, because they are so gentle and sweet, I bet she'll be a great mom. She's sitting on one of the "Americauna" , (actually an EE) eggs, 2 Phoenix, and one of her own. If they are fertile, my Phoenix is the papa, cause he's the only roo I have free-range right now. I'd really like to see a Phoenix/EE cross. I think they'd be very colorful.

2 of my Silky girls are sitting on 13 eggs total btw the two. Can't wait! This is the first time I've actually let any of my hens go broody, so I've got my fingers crossed. [​IMG]

6. Gersbud

Gersbud Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Central Michigan
    I have a broody australorp (sorry bad spelling). But she is
    sitting on 6 golf balls and she wont let me have them. She is a little confused.[​IMG]

7. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    After my one and only black australorp went broody on me...with no eggs under her [​IMG] I put one large red star and about twenty five guinea eggs under her. Don't know if any are fertile...could be..but we will see when the time is up. She is happy as a lark now. If she is going to brood I thought I would give her something to set on. [​IMG]

8. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    [​IMG]

This Momma hatched out 9 Standard Buff and Giant Splash Cochins. The only problem is that she gave them up at 3 weeks old. I am making her sleep with them at night for warmth.

Matt
    Morganton. NC

9. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    My Sydeny has 6 eggs due on June 5th. I hope she keeps them longer than 3 weeks for sure. The bantam has 5 due a couple of days later. Sure hope they each hatch out at least one each. I can't imagine going through all of that and not getting a baby to take care of.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by