Broody Australorp hatching chicks and ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BuskerDoo, Jun 13, 2011.

1. BuskerDoo

BuskerDoo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    Greetings,
    We are new members to the forum, though long time readers.
    Our flock is small - just 2 Cayuga Ducks (1 duck, 1 drake) and 3 hens (1 Silver Laced Wyandotte, 1 Americauna, 1 Australorp)
    We are so proud of our kind Australorp who, this last weekend, successfully hatched a mixed flock of 4 cayuga ducklings and 6 chicks of various breeds (the chicks were from fertile chicken eggs we procured from a neighbor but the duck eggs were from our own two ducks).
    It was all so exciting watching them hatch out, as the hen was mellow enough to let us watch!
    But now we are faced with the reality, or should I say our hen is faced with the challenge of raising this mixed flock.
    Already we are so shocked at how strong and feisty the ducklings are (all except one who had a very difficult time emerging from the egg, they are quite weak). In general, the chicks are so docile comparatively speaking. Will they all get along? We wanted to incorporate them into the flock this way, because our other ducks are not so kind to the chickens. The drake is aggresive, though the duck isn't too mean.
    We were hoping to let the hen raise them all. Were we wrong in thinking this? Will it be a disaster?
    Our questions are these:
    1. Should we separate the ducklings? Or let her try to raise the motley crew together?
    2.Can they all eat the same feed? I've read that ducklings cant have medicated chick starter. This seems difficult to separate the food if we intend to keep them all together.
    3. Any general advice anyone may be kind enough to share?
    Thanks so much and look forward to helping this awkward family get off to the right start!

2. northeastguy

northeastguy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    Mediated chick starter is fatal to ducklings, I use dumor nonmedicated chick starter and I supplement a 500mg niacin pill to my waterer along with chick Electrolytes, my ducklings are growing big with no ill health. you can use chicken hens to hatch ducklings so long as the hen is treated for lice and mites prior, I would not house chickens and ducks or raise them together, the ducks are very messy and they require special chick feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by