Broody Australorp hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Molliep2, May 19, 2019.

1. Molliep2

Molliep2 Chirping

Mar 8, 2018
    My black Australorp hen sits in the nest box and puffs up and makes noises when I try to get her out. When she does go out, she walks around and puffs up and shakes sometimes and makes a squawking noise. She then goes back to the nest box and does the same thing. Is she broody?

C. Conner and agedog1 like this.
  2. Anime2lover

Anime2lover Songster

Apr 17, 2019
    Sounds like what my broody australorp did. Is she sitting on eggs in the box you took her from?

3. Molliep2

Molliep2 Chirping

Mar 8, 2018
    Earlier this morning she was on two but then I pushed her out and got the two and she went out but went back in

4. Molliep2

Molliep2 Chirping

Mar 8, 2018
    How did you break the broodiness

5. Anime2lover

Anime2lover Songster

Apr 17, 2019
    They will. Havent succeeded in removing the broody ness in the two broody hens that im not allowing to hatch (allowing two others to hatch.) Would you concider letting her try??

6. Molliep2

Molliep2 Chirping

Mar 8, 2018
    I want to because it will be fun to watch but I don’t think I could due to space.

7. Anime2lover

Anime2lover Songster

Apr 17, 2019
    I get itit. Im going to have to build a broody coop and run for mine.

8. Molliep2

Molliep2 Chirping

Mar 8, 2018
    Tomorrow, I’m thinking of getting a dog crate and putting her in it with some food and water. Have you tried this and has it worked?

C. Conner likes this.
  9. Anime2lover

Anime2lover Songster

Apr 17, 2019
    This is my first time with a broody, so about that, I dont know.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yep, I have done so multiple times and it does work.

My experience goes about like this: After her setting for 3 days and nights in the nest (or as soon as I know they are broody), I put her in a wire dog crate with smaller wire on the bottom but no bedding, set up on a couple of 4x4's right in the coop or run with feed and water.

I used to let them out a couple times a day, but now just once a day in the evening(you don't have to) and she would go out into the run, drop a huge turd, race around running, take a vigorous dust bath then head back to the nest... at which point I put her back in the crate. Each time her outings would lengthen a bit, eating, drinking and scratching more and on the 3rd afternoon she stayed out of the nest and went to roost that evening...event over, back to normal tho she didn't lay for another week or two. Or take her out of crate daily very near roosting time(30-60 mins) if she goes to roost great, if she goes to nest put her back in crate.
    Chunk of 2x4 for a 'roost' was added to crate floor after pic was taken.
    upload_2019-5-20_9-24-59.png

C. Conner likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: