Broody Australorp Now Mother Hen!!!!!! Lots and Lots of Pics!

Here she is. I took these pics about 2 minutes ago. She spilled a cup of bird seed I got for her but I'll worry about fixing that in the morning.

I moved her after dark as many of you suggested, and all went great!

BroodyMelbourne2001.jpg

BroodyMelbourne2002.jpg

thumbsup.gif

Outstanding!

It seems like I saw a thread the other day where they were looking for hatch buddies who had a hatch date on/around Halloween. You might want to get in on that, more fun when everybody can compare notes
smile.png

In the meantime keep the updates coming, I love broody/hatching threads! Sounds like she's being a good momma so hopefully all continues to go well.

edited because I can't type and get kids headed towards bed at the same time. Arghhhh!!

Last edited:
Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Aw...what a good hen. Nice setup too!

Ok...next thing...start giving her some of that birdseed by hand once a day and pet her (if she'll allow it)....once the chickies hatch she will teach them to eat out of your hand and they will be a lot tamer. I did this with my broody BO...and now when she and her chicks see me coming they all RUN up to me for treats! Love it.
love.gif

Oh yeah...and have fun dealing with broody doodies in the house!
sickbyc.gif
roll.png

The chicks are going to be a mix of australorps, orpingtons, and RIR's. Should be excellent layers.

This is my first hatch, and I have three young sons who are as excited as I am. Can't wait.

I so much want to do this too!! I have babies right now, who are almost 6 wks old. I want to get the fertilized eggs and have one of them sit them too. It will be a while... this is our first go round with chickens. We did the brooder for these girls. I am looking forward to the new experiences!
clap.gif

Eventually, I really want to get into breeding rare breed birds. I'm most interested in Buckeyes and Nankins.

I'd really like to use only broody hens and not incubators even though you're at the will of your hens when it comes to scheduling hatches when you go that way.

We're hopefully going to start building our new home soon where we will have enough acreage to take on all of my whims! I can't wait.

Back
Top Bottom