Broody bantam cochins, WOW! *babies are a month old now* update

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jossanne, May 13, 2009.

1. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I have three bantam cochin pullets, hatched October 16. So that makes them almost seven months old, right? All three have laid VERY consistently for the last month and a half. Most days I've gotten three eggs from them.

All three have gone broody in the last few days, and I set the last 7 bantam cochin eggs under the first one on Mother's Day. The second one got 5 mutt eggs from my standard sized girls on Monday. The third one decided to set the mutt eggs with the 2nd girl. So I've got three broodies in two boxes.

This is exactly what I got these cochins for, and I'm amazed that they all went hormonal at the same time. I guess people are right that they are good little broody girls. I just hope they're not too young, and will finish the job properly. Keep your fingers crossed for us!

Let's also hope that the cochin eggs are pure... the little cochin boy is very protective over his girls, and I haven't seen the big roos get anywhere near them. I've been watching the cochin eggs when I've cooked with them, and they're nearly all looking fertile.

I can't wait til May 31!!! Go girlies go!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  2. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

GOOD FOR YOU !!

Our bantam cochin hen Alice had been sitting patiently for over 4 weeks, no hatches. Dear folks here gave us four bantam cochin eggs from similar looking hens and Alice adopted them on Mother's Day Eve so we're right there with ya !!!! Can't wait...

Best of luck...

We have 4 month old bantam mottled cochins: three boys and two girls. The boys are getting frisky in the last week and any time I can't find the girls there they are, in the nest boxes... We have a new coop and it's really nice - they are more spoiled than us. And we're pretty spoiled. I know by Fall we're gonna be having lots of baby chicks running around here (not to mention the Brinsea 20 Advanced we're buying Friday).

Really, keep in touch with us...

Michael and Nan

3. calibersway

calibersway Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    Roxboro North Carolina
    i have a silkie/sultan cross who is broody on eggs set to hatch 5/30-5/31 so we'll have a hatch date together!!!

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I LOVE my bantam cochins- they DO like to share a nest. They got broody when I think it was too cold out and no eggs developed fully. We finally got 2 little black chicks to hatch under a heavy- OMG they are sooo darn cute!!!!

5. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    One of my bantam girls left the nest, so I've got two cochins on two different nests now. As an added bonus, I've now got an australorp and a buff minorca broody. I gave them each 6 smallish white eggs, in hopes that some of them may be pure polish or pure SSH.

So... 7 bantam cochin eggs and 5 mutt EE and brown eggs are on day 10 and 11, and now 12 white eggs are on day 1.

I'm going to candle the brown and green eggs tonight, and see if I can see anything through their dark shells. Wish me luck!

6. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    The babies are hatching right on schedule. So far this afternoon there are 4 bantam cochins - looks like two blue and two splash. One EE egg has hatched, and one brown standard egg. The EE mix baby has a big ol' fluffy face, and it's darling. The other one is mostly black, with little white flecks. I'll be curious to figure out whose brown egg that was... barred rock, silver-laced or golden-laced wyandotte, or black australorp. The roos were a silver-laced polish or a SSH. I didn't think the mutt babies would start hatching until tomorrow, since I set their eggs on a Monday.

Here's what we can see so far, without picking mamas up...

Mama with a blue and a splash baby peeking out:
    [​IMG]

Mama with the first two "mutts":
    [​IMG]

Close-up of mama and splash:
    [​IMG]

Mama and the mutts:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  7. Redsquirrel

Redsquirrel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Burnsville, Minnesota
    Tooooo cute! Can't wait till my eggs hatch in a week's time. [​IMG]

8. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    And an update on the 12 white eggs that I set under other hens...

The black australorp left the nest after a couple of days, so I gave her 6 to the buff minorca. I left the minorca in the regular nesting boxes where everyone lays, because I was out of enclosed nest box space. She's now down to 6 eggs, the other 6 were broken while the girls fought over laying space. I have to gather new eggs out from under her each day, and it's been hard on the eggs we want to hatch.

So, lesson learned... DO NOT EXPECT GOOD LUCK HATCHING EGGS UNDER A BROODY IN A POPULAR NEST BOX. The eggs are due about June 10. As soon as I move the two cochin mamas out, I'll put the minorca in there so the last 6 eggs have a chance...

9. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Final count:
    5 out of 7 bantam cochins hatched. We ended up with 3 splash and 2 blue. Upon eggtopsy, found one fully-formed blue chick that died without pipping, and one rotten egg with no development. Did the one chick die because of my lifting up the broody hen to check progress of the hatch? [​IMG]

4 out of 5 mutt eggs hatched. Two are from EE eggs, and two are from unknown brown eggs. I'll be anxiously watching those babies grow to see if I can figure out parentage. I don't see any sign of crests, and both babies have rose combs, so I assume the roo was the SSH. Upon eggtopsy, there was a fully-formed chick, yolk absorbed, no pip. Once again, is this my fault??? [​IMG]

I've got to learn PATIENCE!!! [​IMG]

10. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    It probably just died just because. Don't stress it.

Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by