broody bantam not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sherymaree, Mar 18, 2015.

1. sherymaree

sherymaree Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2013
    She went broody on me before. I thought she was gone found her sitting on 10 eggs underneath a tree.. No roo so no chance of babies. She is now not laying eggs and staying in the coop. When I bring her out she eats drinks and goes back in. What should I do?

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    The broodiness is caused by a hormone. Eventually broodiness will pass and all will be back to normal. What do you want to do??? speed up the broodiness cycle. I have read threads of tricks that peeps tried and succeeded with to break the broodiness in like 4 days. Isolating in a wire cage with no nesting material was one that I read here on BYC , WISHING YOU BEST. [​IMG]

3. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    To break a broody the wire cage works well just make sure it's elevated with no bedding so she gets a little breeze up her backside. The cooling down will cause a hormonal change and break her. I had one in the summer while it was hot that required a fan to cool her down. If she has no eggs to hatch breaking her would be best for her and you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by