1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody bantam

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sharon1610, Jun 17, 2016.

1. sharon1610

sharon1610 New Egg

Jan 23, 2016
    This question has probably been answered before but this is my first post & I'm new to being a chicken owner.
    I have a beautiful silkie who has just started to lay in the past 2 weeks. I think she may be broody because she hasn't moved from her nesting box from this morning (she laid an egg). Whilst watching her this afternoon she was collecting the plastic eggs and pushing them under her. We do not have a rooster & it is not possible to put fertilised eggs under her. What else can I do? Can I pick her up and put her out with the other hens and close the nesting roost?
    Thanks

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC! It is rare, but not unheard off for a hen to go broody within weeks of laying her first eggs. I got caught out a few years ago by a sneaky new layer that hid and hatched her first 12 eggs! If you don't want her to hatch eggs for you, the most effective broody breaking method that I know off is to put her in a wire bottom cage with nothing but food and water for a few days.

3. gemma24

gemma24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2016
    CA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by