broody bantam

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hpeddy, Jan 7, 2017.

1. hpeddy

hpeddy New Egg

Nov 7, 2015
    I have a small black hen that has taken up with my buffs. the buffs are less than 2 y/o and have not yet been broody. however, the black hen has started to sit on a nest for the past two days . I believe she is a bantam as she is smaller than buffs with smaller eggs. will she be able to hatch and raise mixed breed eggs? some eggs are from black hen and others, larger, are from buffs. not sure how this will turn out. hen is in nest box of coop about two feet or so off the ground. this is sw ga but a cold snat is here 30s and cooler. any knowledge/advise would be greatly appreciated.

2. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    I think she should be able to hatch the eggs just fine as long as she doesn't have too many eggs to cover. 6 or 7 eggs is the most I would let a small hen have. If she hatches them she will raise them, no matter the size.
    The cold temps shouldn't be a problem as long as she doesn't stay off the nest for too long to eat and drink. You will want to start planning on moving her into a safer location before she hatches. [​IMG]

3. hpeddy

hpeddy New Egg

Nov 7, 2015
    thank you very much for the information. hopefully the little lady will be ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by