Broody bantam

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ollie44buckbuck, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Ollie44buckbuck

Ollie44buckbuck Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2013
    Devon, England
    I've got a problem. I have a broody bantam and it isn't very practical- what methods can I use to prevent her from being broody please?
    Thanks
    Ollie

2. mamma buttercup

mamma buttercup Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2013
    I have had two of my bantams go broody. Spent two days keeping them out of the nest box, dipping them in cold water and holding them waist high to 'fly' to the ground. It was exhausting but both are now snapped out of it and one is laying again so hoping the other will soon too. My last broody girl refused all my efforts and after three weeks and still not snapping out if it I gave her some eggs to hatch and she is an amazing mum, so I guess it depends on how determined yours are to brood!! Good luck [​IMG]

3. Ollie44buckbuck

May 16, 2013
    Devon, England
    Thanks, I have had 2 broody bantams also. I gave fertilised eggs to both of them- the first decided to give up after a week. The second gave up today and the chicks were due to hatch on Monday- and I haven't got an incubator so I'm a little gutted!
    I'm not getting any more eggs for the third bantam that became broody today because we"re on holiday so can't look after her, and because they are only young, she is likely to give up aswell. So I'll take your advice and do what you did and see what the outcome is.

1 person likes this.
  4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Best of luck!

5. mamma buttercup

Jun 12, 2013

6. mamma buttercup

Jun 12, 2013
    If she just gave up you could try hatching them in an airing cupboard or somewhere warm and see what happens. My friend had the same problem and hatched three from six that way recently.

7. Ollie44buckbuck

May 16, 2013
    Devon, England
    Thanks- I will certainly try doing that if it happens again!

8. teneyck farms

teneyck farms Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2014
    ohio
    to stop broodyness you can put them in a wire cage with a wire floor and put food and water in with them leave her in there until the broodyness breaks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by