Broody banty, what to do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SunnySideUp, Sep 16, 2007.

1. SunnySideUp

SunnySideUp Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2007
    Our banty just started getting broody, she's a little over 5 mos. old and is tending to her golf ball night and day. We have no roosters so she'll never get anywhere with it...I'm just wondering if it's best to take her off the nest when this happens or let her work through it.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

2. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you take the nest away? Also take the golf ball away.
    Going broody is a little stressful I would get her to snap out of it if you can. After she starts acting normal again give her back her nest.
    But thats me & I want eggs, if you do not care - then there really is no harm to let her "work" through it,

3. Mac

Mac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    South Central PA
    I had good luck with double zip-lock baggies filled with ice in the nesting box with my frizzle cochin bantam. I kept taking her out of the box, but I'd turn my back and she'd be inside again. It took two days, but she gave up and is out and about again. Make sure if you try this to use at least two baggies in case one gets pecked or punctured by toenails. This was a suggestion from someone on this list so I can't take credit for the success, but it worked GREAT!

Mac

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by