Broody barred rock questions....

whatthecluck

Songster
11 Years
Mar 30, 2009
VeRmOnT
So our barred rock Ruby is definitely broody. I have been taking her eggs while petting her because...well...we eat the eggs lol and she is collecting them ALL and insisting that everyones eggs are hers to hatch
tongue.png
. Now today I lifted her and saw that her whole tummy is bare...so did she pull her own feathers out to incubate her little babies? Ack...the momma in me now feels compassion and wants to give her fertile eggs from somewhere to hatch...its sweet and beautiful. What to do. I have never had chicks...would the rooster and other hens be kind to baby chicks if I let momma Ruby the barred rock have babies? Pretty sure that none will be hers lol since she isnt laying now. Also the last egg she laid was incredibly small? I know it was hers because of the speckles......all full size...then one tiny then BROODY!? Advice? Will she stay broody if I keep taking the eggs? Is it bad to take the eggs? Should I give her fertile eggs?

I say give her babies. (and yes, she plucked her tummy)

My 26 week old light brahma scared the crap out of me when she puffed up and growled at me last week. It was bad timing for me, but I went ahead and looked for eggs to hatch. I found some I want, now just waiting for her to be fully broody.
he.gif

Give her a few eggs!! I found that my first- time broody BR was a wicked frightful protector of her babies, and everyone knew full well to leave her alone with them- they were missing feathers, some of them, prior to learning well...

Just make sure she doesn't get back on the wrong nest everyday after her poop-eat-drink jaunt.

Quote:
I would keep them on their own untill the chicks can fight back.
I made the mistake of letting chicks in with the flock to soon.
They pecked the heads off them
sad.png

Last edited:
Quote:
not with a mom available

... excellent read --- 5 pages of insightful information regarding broody hens

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

that was a really good read. I set 6 surprise eggs from BikerBabeRules under her this evening in the dark....I wanted to try and stick my BCM egg under her in the morning I dont think the temp difference in a few hours will be too troublesome in terms of hatching time? Hope not because I am curious in 10 days now to candle and see if there is fertility. Our one young roo is now crowing and looking the part but I have yet to catch him in the act with one of his 9 hens
tongue.png

As for temperature we should be good....we had an electrician here yesterday quoting me on a wall heater for over the nest boxes...will have that in place in a few weeks....we have an indoor upstairs barn and it is pretty warm now...3 weeks from now plus momma hen should be OK......I dont LOVE it (timing), but shes asking for babies, so I am guessing nature knows better than I do? Just a hunch.
smile.png

After reading that article though I am thinking of just sectioning off the area near where she already is. I think it will work. Going to look tomorrow more and see if she needs to be moved or if we can just work around her to set her up with some safe digs for her littles adventure.
How the heck did I get myself into this?
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom