Broody barred rock.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickenzane, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Chickenzane

Chickenzane New Egg

Jun 11, 2010
    Benbrook, TX
    This is my first flock and one of my barred rocks has gone broody. We dont have a rooster, so we recieved some fertile eggs from our neighbor. Does anyone have any info on how long it will take for the eggs to hatch? I have googled it sveral times and every site has a different answer [​IMG]

2. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    21 days, though they can sometimes pop out a day or two early depending on breed and other factors. Good luck! I have a Barred Rock that goes broody on occasion too. I'm waiting on my first broody (an EE) to hatch her eggs this weekend. She's been a good setter, so I bet she'll be a good mama too.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  3. Chickenzane

Chickenzane New Egg

Jun 11, 2010
    Benbrook, TX
    Now my other Barred Rock has gone broody! They keep squabbling over the nesting box. I built a new one so that they would have seperate boxes, but she wont go in the other box! They have all used the same one since adolescence and they wont do anythong different. What should I do?[​IMG]

4. bantyhen'sfriend

bantyhen'sfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Wisconsin
    If they are content to share, I would let them share. If they are fighting, separate them entirely.

5. Chickenzane

Chickenzane New Egg

Jun 11, 2010
    Benbrook, TX
    Chicks due this weekend![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by