1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody behavior question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by seminolewind, Jun 28, 2008.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    My silkie is sitting on eggs, and she sleeps most of the day. Is that okay? She eats and drinks fine.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I remember my broodies napping during the day. Guess I would fall asleep, too, if I was forced to sit in one spot all day, staring at nothing.

3. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Thanks, Cyn. I keep wondering if I should move her to a more interesting spot.
    I see that brooding is alot of stress, I think.
    She also moves her eggs at night, a different location every morning, LOL

4. Sahara

Sahara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Keystone Heights, FL
    She will be fine. The hen has nothing to do but warm some eggs. I have a brooding hen right now and I go in the coop everyday and offer her food and drink just to mess with her. You don't have to do that because if she gets hungry enough she will get off the eggs but that is my way of interacting with her each day.

5. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I had 1 bantam go broody on us and with NO EGGS .....

She just sat there and would eat and drink fine .

We dont have roosters , SO , MISS Smartie said she would have it her way . lol

NOW that she is out of this broody system , she has not started laying back . Its been like 2 weeks now , wonder if anything is wrong ?

6. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Quote:It can take them up to 3 weeks to begin laying again after they've gone into broody mode.

Dawn

7. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't know how they have the patience to brood. I mean even their special treat doesn't get them off the nest. Amazing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by