Broody behavior?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by FowlFriend, Jan 9, 2011.

1. FowlFriend

FowlFriend Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2010
    Central Coast, CA
    One of my 2 hens has been acting weird for several weeks. She hasn't been nearly as social as usual and she is the only one laying eggs still. I'm learning that she just wants to lay in a nest she's made all day and night! I guess this is broody behavior? She does still get up to eat and drink (but not as often as the other hen--she is taking her sitting very seriously).

The eggs are not fertile as we have no roos. Should I let her lay on the eggs for awhile? Or should I collect them? Is there anything else I should do, or will this run its course?

2. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Sounds like broody behavior to me, but if she still laying idk if shes fully broody then..... Im not sure, Im not a broody perfessional. well I would let her sit on a few of not fertile eggs, and when 21 days come maybe go to a local feed store and buy her a baby or however many you want. And if you dont want that, you could buy her a dozen or so eggs to stick under her, and if you dont want that id break her.

Whats the breed?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  3. FowlFriend

Feb 24, 2010
    Central Coast, CA
    Thanks for responding. She's a Coturnix quail hen. I don't want to get her a baby because we hatched her and her sister as science projects--now we have pet quail! LOL! We built a special run for them and will keep them until they die, but we are not set up for more. [​IMG]

I should add that I've been gathering her egg every day, except tonight. She has made a little nest in the cage and is sitting on the egg, looking fluffy and smug. Too cute!

4. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Hmmm... this is very rare, I would give her some fertile eggs and watch, but don't worry if you don't have a rooster thay're not gonna hatch.

5. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Yeah, Then I would break her. It because broodies wont give up for along time, Even if they dont have eggs, you know how to break a broody right?

here is a link, https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=181289

But
    if you dont want to break her, I would guess what would not be a problem either as long as shes eating and drinking, she will eventually give up.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Coturnix are easy to break up, just take the eggs away. Most of them won't set until hatch anyway.

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:1 MINOR TRIVIAL DETAIL HERE....

ITS A QUAIL, NOT A CHICKEN, THIS WONT WORK WITH GAMEBIRDS. BUT AS SHELLEY SO APTLY PUT IT... DONT WORRY THEY USUALLY WONT BROOD LONG ENOUGH TO HATCH EVEN IF THEY WERE FERTILE. THE CHANCES ARE PRETTY DARM SLIM AT BEST ON A GOOD DAY... THERE'S THE RARE OCCAISION OF COTURNIX ACTUALLY HATCHING EGGS, BUT THEY ARE RARE

8. FowlFriend

Feb 24, 2010
    Central Coast, CA
    Thanks for all the replies. I guess I'll just let her have her egg and hope she snaps out of it soon. She was my favorite because she was the most friendly--jumped for worms and allowed us to hold her. Now she's just Miss Moody who wants to sit in her nest all day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by