Broody Bellies or???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 2DogsFarm, Jul 23, 2010.

1. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    My Houdan is STILL broody - going on Week #3
    But the down & feathers on her belly are growing back so I am hopeful she is coming out of it.

My question concerns 2 of her "sisters " - 1 Delaware & 1 Black Star also picked themselves bare when Misty(Houdan) first went broody.
    Before Misty started gluing herself to a nestbox I worried about mites/lice so I inspected each hen throroughly.
    Nada [​IMG]

Now - 3 weeks later - Misty is still hogging the nestbox and shrieking at everyone but as long as she gets off to eat & drink and ramble a bit I'm letting her be.
    The other 2 are not showing any of the same broody behavior and most of their feathers have grown back, but their bellies are still bald as grocerystore hens.

I keep checking for vermin - which has made me persona non grata with them - but still no sign of any infestation.
    Just in case, I swept all old shavings off the floor of the coop, dusted with Sevin and replaced with fresh shavings.

Why the still-nekkid bellies?

2. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Chillin' With My Peeps

You nailed it on the head...It appears she has rubbed all those belly feathers off while being broody. They wont grow back in until she goes through a molt, and if the heat up there is anything like down here that wont be too long. I got a majority of my birds starting to molt..(LOL Just in time for state fair showing..UGH!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by