Broody/bitties

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jetskier506, Oct 2, 2011.

1. jetskier506

jetskier506 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2011
    one hen had about 15 bitties, and one day three something got in and killed all but 5. So this hen is super protective of them. I have another hen trying to go broody with about a dozen eggs. Could I pen The mother with the 5 bitties in a broody pen with the hen and eggs? If not Can I leave the mother and bitties out side (in a pen) and trust that they'll live?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If the Mama Hen and the broody get along well I see no reason why you couldn't keep them together. I don't see them being very safe in a pen (vs. a coop), but I don't know your set-up.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  3. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    No, if something already got them, you're just making it easier I'm afraid, You need to fortify where you have them else all of them will be gone...a broody hen on a nest is an easy target, along with the rest of them...last night I was late locking the coop and a fox came tearing out and ran into my leg...prob 2 seconds later he would have had a chicken.

4. jetskier506

jetskier506 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2011
    Ok so I quarantined the mother and bitties, but stil two full nest boxes and still no mother taking care of them. Some eggs are up to a week old

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by