Broody Black Australorps

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Shrader, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Shrader

Shrader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Four of the 5 Black Australorps I got from Meyer last spring have gone broody in the last few months!
    Is this normal for this breed -- or did I just luck out?

2. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Sounds fast to me, but some just want to be mamas!!!!

3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    i had a broody BA. she went broody 2 times b4 she was "too old." every spring for the 2 years we had her she would be a "puffball." [​IMG] i'm not sure if it's "normal" for BA, but it may be like silky ma said - they just want to mamas! [​IMG]

4. ChickyPooh

ChickyPooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    South GA
    Most hens go broody but not all. if you have a broody hen I've heard (and this might be mean but it works) that you can get a bucket full of water and dunk her in it a couple of times upside down and she'll stop being broody.
    We tried it on my RR hen and it really work and shes no worse for ware.[​IMG] yay!!! no mean puffy hen!!! lol

5. SueNH

SueNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2007
    My australorps are all very broody.

6. ChickyPooh

ChickyPooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    South GA
    Never mind. You know I was just joking about the water right?

7. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I have four Australorp hens that were a year old in March. One went broody one month ago.

8. Shrader

Shrader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    ChickyPooh: Ha ha ha! I had my bucket all ready. Good thing I checked back in. (Just kidding.)

Chirpy: I'll be curious to find out if more of your Australorps go broody.

9. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Ther heritage Australorps will go broody, hatchery ones not so much usually.

I have a broody aussie right now too..... she is driving me crazy, not tame in the least so if she just hears me coming towards the nest box she freaks and bolts out of it brekaing all eggs in the nest.

10. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    fancyfowl4ever wrote:
    Ther heritage Australorps will go broody, hatchery ones not so much usually.

That's interesting. I got mine from the local feedstore last year so I'm assuming they are from a hatchery. If that holds true then I'm guessing that I may not have any others go broody (which is fine - I don't need anymore broodies, I need their eggs!). It will be fun to see what happens in the next year with these girls.

We are very fortunate that our hens all let us pick them up and hold them. This broody growls and puffs up but will let us pet her even while she's on the nest. I let the kids pet her for the first two weeks and then we pretty much left her alone for the last two weeks (I didn't get fertile eggs under her until her second week so she has actually sat for month now ... she hatched out one chick four days ago!).​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by