Broody Black Copper Marans stopped setting. chicks are hatching

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by john in wa, Jun 29, 2010.

1. john in wa

john in wa Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    this is the second time this year she has went broody. both times she stopped setting after 2 weeks. went out today to check on her and there was 10 eggs and no hen. the eggs are cold but i broke out the extra incubator and put them in. the last time i was able to hatch a few out of her abandoned eggs.. I will not let her go broody again if she start to set i will gather the eggs and lock up the hen to stop her from setting.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    My BCM hen, Fancy, was broody for THREE MONTHS! I finally kept taking her off the nest everytime I saw her and she finally came out of it. Of course at the time, I didn't have a rooster........LOL

3. I hate it when they do that! [​IMG]

I love broody hens in general - no need to babysit the incubator! But some broodies just can't be trusted. I wouldn't let her try to hatch eggs again.

4. john in wa

john in wa Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    This will be the last time i let her set. the first time i thought it may of been my fault. I moved her nest box to keep the other hens out of it. so this time i locked up the other hens to keep them from laying in her nest and she still stopped just days before hatch time.

5. john in wa

john in wa Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    well the eggs i saved from the nest are hatching today.i have 2 chicks out and 8 more pips. i will update when i think the hatch is over with the total.

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I'd still let her set. Any day under a broody is better than a day in the incubator. Just let her give the eggs a good start, and take them at two weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by