Broody Blue Orpington..Gave Her Day 16 Bator Eggs HATCHED/ PICs

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
My silly pullet Dusty has been broody, sitting on air for over two weeks. I just happened to set some BBS Orps and Barred EEs in the bator the day after she went broody. They are on Day 16 today. She had been in the Orp coop the entire time, taking up one of the only two nests we have in there. We set up a dog kennel in the storage area of the Delaware coop day before yesterday and put her in it. She refused to sit on the nest, jumped against the sides and turned over the food and after several hours, I put her back in with Suede, where she promptly went to the nest.
We decided yesterday to give it another shot. This time she wasn't completely unfamiliar with the crate and sat on the plastic "lure" eggs I put in there. This morning, when she settled back on the eggs after her morning "poop and eat" session, we removed the seven eggs from the Hova and placed them under her, with her pecking my DH's hands the entire time. I think she will be the first mean broody I've ever had, LOL. Here is when she was hogging the nest (with Suede wondering what the heck is wrong with that growly woman, LOL) and then, the setup she has now where she will hatch the chicks. Please ignore the dust--spring cleaning is just around the corner:
DCP_2292.jpg

Picture050.jpg

Last edited:
I've got a Marans that's been broody for a month already...I've been thinking of giving her some eggs. She spent the whole last summer broody too no matter what I did to get her to stop so I think she'd be a safe bet.

Good luck with your broody.
smile.png

Tis the season! Out of my 4 bantams, 1 is a momma and 2 are broody!

Sounds like she is going to be rewarded for her persistence.
smile.png
Good luck!

We were determined to make her snap out of it, but she was so faithful to a nestful of nothing that I felt sorry for her. And who wouldn't rather have a broody take care of babies anyway? No worries about power outages, etc.

Sounds like lots of you have broodies right now. I'm just hoping no one else goes broody before Nugget and Dusty are done and back with their respective groups.

I have a silkie who's broody for a second time since Christmas. I have 11 eggs in the bator ready to hatch this weekend....would that be too many chicks for my little girl to take care of?

Nugget is fantastic, a model mother. I'm quite proud of her. And Sarah, I don't know how many babies a Silkie can handle. Depends on if she's in with the flock that might attack the little ones, I guess. I saw a OEGB hen running across a field near my house, followed by about 15 babies, so who knows?

Back
Top Bottom