Broody BO but where'd the eggs go?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Feathered Landings, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Feathered Landings

Feathered Landings Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    I just went out tonight to candle the eggs under my broody BO and they're gone!!! My husband swears he saw 2 eggs on day 2, but he never touched them, he just lifted her wing. Then I went out on day 4 to candle them but only saw 1 (agian, I only lifted her wing). Tonight is day 7 and I couldn't find any. I actually picked her up this time and sifted through the shavings under her, couldn't feel anything anywhere. What happened? Where do you suppose they are? Tomorrow will be day 8 so sould I take more eggs and put them under her and start over? I was really looking foward to hatching some chicks, so I'm really upset that the eggs are gone. Has this ever happened to anyone else?
    [​IMG]

2. rosaline

rosaline Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    England
    Do you think anyone could of got into the garden to steal the eggs? [​IMG]

3. Feathered Landings

Mar 27, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    She's inside the coop on the floor and I have pad locks on both doors. The only thing in there with her is the rest of the hens, 1 rooster and 1 guinea fowl. Would one of the other hens tried to take it? I just changed all the shavings today and didn't see any signs tonight of broken eggs or left over yolks. I'm so confused [​IMG]

4. rosaline

rosaline Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    England
    Do you think rats could of got in? Otherwize im out of ideas.

5. Feathered Landings

Mar 27, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    I guess that maybe possible, I have a few vent openings in the top by the roof, but I've only ever seen mice around here, doesn't mean rats aren't around though I guess. I'd be surprised if they went in the coop though, I've watched my chickens kill a mouse before and fight over it, however rats are a lot larger. That would be pretty brave on their part to enter the coop with 7 birds, I'd think. I did have a hen eating eggs a few weeks ago, but thought we broke that habbit. I've watched her try to get the BO off the nest but she lowest in pecking order and hasn't succeeded, plus the BO is REALLY mean right now. None of my birds have ever bit anyone, and that's all she's doing now...she's MEAN!!! Thanks for all your help BTW [​IMG] This is my first time with a broody hen, I more expected the eggs not to hatch...but disappering, didn't see that one coming.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  6. Feathered Landings

Mar 27, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    I just read a thread by another BYC member saying squirrels are a possibility. About 3 days ago my guinea was going nuts, I could hear him from inside the house, I went out to find out why and there was a squirrel running up the tree about 5 feet from the coop. Would they actually go in the run and coop while all the chickens are in there too, to steal eggs?

7. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    Do you have snakes in your area? perhaps it was a snake? it may have been the other chickens too, perhaps you should get some infertile eggs and put them on the coop floor to see how the other birds react if they eat them then it was most likely them, it is a very difficult habit to break, it may have happened while she left the nest to eat/drink etc that the other bird took the opportunity to get them, you may have to make her own broody area in the coop for her only.

8. Feathered Landings

Mar 27, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    Thanks spikennipper...I think I will just make her her own area for now. The one that was eating the eggs does stay in the coop almost all day, so that may just be it. We only have garter snakes here and this is the hibernation season for them right now. I'm also considering making my own incubator and trying it that way. I never really had the "itch" to try hatching eggs till this one went broody, now it's like a goal. LOL!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by