Broody BO pullet- left facial edema, new beak asymetry, RLE paresis, inability to swallow, wasting b

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CottonGinWaste, Jan 4, 2013.

1. CottonGinWaste

CottonGinWaste Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    Mobile, AL
    OK, 1st time at this:
    1. Type of bird/age/wt Buff orp from private breeder, don't recall if I hatched her vs got her as a day old to supplement eggs from same breeder; have a 2nd BO who still looks spectacular per SOP, regularly lays (as did sick one prior to brooding). Close to 9 months old. Never weighed, sorry. Was shocked at weight loss when 1st handled during this episide, lean beyond norm for broody - feathers helped hide this (my excuse; my bad).
    2. Exact behavior Currently continues alert. Continues to talk to her 2 week old chicks and vocalize but not like her former awesome broody mom self. More mobile as in she can now walk short distances but seems to have decreased vision daily (lacks blink response 'good' eye right), and tonight only made single attempt to drink, no attempt to eat fave treats.
    3. How long symptoms Approx 12-26 = left eye squint; 12-27 = left facial edema with crooked/crossed beak (top crossing to right over bottom). Approx 12-29 a.m: mild limping right leg and as day progressed so did the limp. By 12-30 BLE paresis present with inability to effectively stand or walk; laying on left side but with head upright and alert; unable to effectively cover chicks. By 1-3, ability to stand = improved for very short periods (less than 10 seconds). On 1-4 she was walking short distances up to 3 to 6 feet without assist, unsteady. BUT appears to may be blind, unable to eat. Actually progressive decline in eating ability since onset of symptoms.
    4. Other birds with symptoms None, nada.
    8 other 'adults': 1 = 2 yo, 7 = 9 mo. 18 juvies = ~11 weeks.
    ** 11of the juvies are SLWs from Estes hatchery that we bought locally; presumed vaccinated. Other 7 were bred/ hatched by us.
    *** Also of 10 supplemental chicks from a so-so source on 12-20 - 1 americauna died before even being set (we thought we let it get chilled), 1 silky had a poopy butt (we culled it), and the BO chick has a bad eye (we thought it was trauma).
    Oh - and 6 guinea fowl, all healthy and normal = neurotic and stupid and noisy. But protective of all newbie chicks; sweet, really.
    5. Any trauma signs None, nada. Thought a gate fell on her initially (gate was laying on the ground) but no feather piles, no wounds, nothing we can tell.
    6. What happened preceding Pullet is 1st time broody, placed 12 eggs under her of which only one hatched. Simultaneously we tried 1st time using incubator to hatch our own 'supplemental' day olds. She hatched one, we hatched none, blamed it on season and less-than-enthusiastic 9 month old Roo (although last hatch in Oct the broody had good results). Excellent initial activity, mama taking chicks out of small pen by 3rd day and traveling over progressively wider loops (1 acre fenced in). Normal behavior, excellent mothering/foraging/caring.
    7. Diet/intake Free ranging since birth with free access to Dumor starter/grower crumbles f/b layena pellets until broody, then back to starter/grower with cracked corn/seed for treats every 1-2 days. Since illness have kept corn ad lib; hand-fed chopped hard-boiled eggs, shredded cheese (sharp cheddar; gouda); plain yogurt; luke-warm water. Decreasing ability (vs disinterest?) in eating yesterday and today, as opposed to an enormous interest in the early days - - - although I think she had trouble swallowing thru out
    8. Poop Increasingly runny and REALLY FOUL smelling. White with green. Last firmed poop was 2 days ago (1-2-2013). Abx vs illness?
    9. Tx to date 3 consecutive days Penicillin G (0.10 cc) 12-30 thru 1-1, f/b attempts at adding aspirin to yogurt . Hand feeding with decreasing success. Using heat lamp 24/7 unless I'm there personally.
    10. Intent of tx Treating her myself. Even if I could find an avian vet locally, I'd prefer services such as worm checks and provision of supplies (like feeding tubes!! how much harder than a possum, squirrel, or puppy can it be??!!!)
    11. Post picture Really sorry, I'm the most stupid computer user ever born. I'll see who I can find to help.
    12. Housing/bedding Isolated broody coop on ground as of about 11-28; wooden nest box, hay changed every 3 to 5 days since hatch. Same hay as used in nest boxes (and fed to caged rabbits). Fenced broody pen about 6' by 10' in fenced acre setting; allowed to free-range until 12-30.

Also: Rabbits on premises in raised cages, birds scratch forage below, composting on site. Other than commercial feed, all care is natural/organic as possible - except use of Ivomec as wormer in breeders (not meat) animals.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. CottonGinWaste

Dec 26, 2012
    Mobile, AL
    Appreciate the links; I've been checking them but haven't come up with a match. I'm leaning toward a <mild> Marek's although whatever it is will prove fatal if I can't get water/nutrition into her. I've tube-fed marsupials and mammals, am willing to try with a raptor if I had the equipment. I'll have 2 1/2 week old chicks to dispose of if things deteriorate, as we rely on our broodies to do our raising . . .

What's with the crossed-beak thing??

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  4. CottonGinWaste

Dec 26, 2012
    Mobile, AL
    Update . . .

Pullet is still alive; I initiated tube feeding last night using water and organic maple syrup to start. This morning and late afternoon I used egg yolk with a dash of syrup (approx 20-25 cc) f/b 4 to 6 cc water. I'll do it again later. Much better energy (duh!) Tomorrow I'm off work so I'll allow her and the 18 chicks out in the yard after am tube feed.

Again - what's with the new crooked beak thing??!!!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  5. CottonGinWaste

Dec 26, 2012
    Mobile, AL
    Weighed her today ; 2 lb, 8 oz. Geez . . .

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

7. CottonGinWaste

Dec 26, 2012
    Mobile, AL
    Appreciate the link, I think I've seen the photo of the digestive tract before but didn't know where; now I've got it saved.

She was out in the yard with the chicks most of the day as I was home to keep an eye on things. Way different relationship with the chicks, bond isn't as tight, and pullet not as 'aware' or protective as she used to be, almost like she was sleepwalking. Made the right noises but the demanding urgency of the mama hen was missing . . . I tube fed her again before the game (Roll Tide!!) and added ~55 mg crushed aspirin to her yolk/ms/lj concoction. Still wonder if it was a trauma vs illness/tumor that wouldn't have hit her if she wasn't stressed initially by 3 1/2 weeks on a nest -

8. CottonGinWaste

Dec 26, 2012
    Mobile, AL
    Finally posting pictures

This is the BO in her pen with chicks, 19 days old
    [​IMG]

This is in front of her broody coop, with heat lamp
    [​IMG]

Is there something wrong inside her mouth??!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Left facial edema; hard above the eye, puffy at cheek
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Foley catheter used for tube feeds
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  9. CottonGinWaste

Dec 26, 2012
    Mobile, AL